Which are the best blackout curtains for nursery? Before we review some of the best, do you think it is important to have blackout drapes in your baby’s room?
Well, blackout curtains not only keep the room dark for the young sleeper but also block out noise and regulate the temperature in the nursery. For instance, they block heat in the summer and stop drafts in the winter thereby enabling your baby to sleep better.
Now, before we go further into this review, you might want to look at these top 3 blackout curtains we’ve chosen based on customer reviews and experiences.
Comparison table of the best baby kids curtains reviews
|NICETOWN Gray Stars Kids Curtains||High-quality polyester fabric, Hand/machine, washable, 2 panels, rustproof grommets, twinkling star effect, blocks out most of light|
|AmazonBasics Baby Travel shades||Very thick, makes room pitch dark, portable, adjustable size|
|MANGATA CASA Kids Star Blackout curtain||High-density dark yarn, rustproof grommets, noise insulation, no foil printing|
|Mizone Kids Blackout curtains||100% polyester, thick lining, thermal insulation, rustproof grommets, variety of colors|
|BGment Moon & Stars Blackout curtains for kids||Thermal insulated, machine washable, rustproof grommets, durable, Wide variety of colors|
|AmazonBasics Room Darkening Curtains||100% polyester, energy-saving, minimize noise, 2 panels, 2 Velcro ties, machine washable|
|BGment Zoo Patterns Nursery||Triple-weaved fabric, fairly thick, heat insulation, very durable, machine washable|
Best Blackout Curtains for Nursery Reviews
1. NICETOWN Gray Stars Kids Curtains
These are some of the best-rated blackout curtains for kids due to several reasons.
They made from polyester material that does not contain toxic chemical coatings or foil printing. Hence, it is safe to use in the nursery.
The stars on the curtain are hollow to allow just a little light into the room if your child is afraid of total darkness. This brings a twinkle effect into the room creating a dreamy sense, which promotes better sleep.
In addition, these curtains come in different colors so you can choose one that matches your kid’s room décor. They also come in different themes; ocean theme, princess theme, forest theme and adventure theme among others.
- Made of high-quality polyester fabric
- Do not contain any toxic chemicals
- Hand or machine washable
- Each package contains 2 panels
- Silver grommets that are rustproof
- The hollow stars give a twinkling star effect that kids love
- They do a good job at blocking out most of light
- If you want a pitch dark room, the hollow stars allow a little light in.
2. AmazonBasics Portable Baby Travel Blind Shades
These curtains can be used at home or in a hotel since they are portable.
They are 100% polyester and designed to block out harmful UV rays and sunlight from getting into the nursery or your bedroom.
Also, they help to minimize noise from outside and create an energy-saving insulating barrier against heat and cold. Thus, they keep the room warm in winter and cool in the summer.
They have Velcro edges so you can customize them to fit different sizes of windows especially when on the go.
Most importantly, you don’t need a curtain rod for installation. They have suction cups that are attached securely to the window.
- They are very thick so they block out all the light
- Great for use in the summer to turn a day-lit room into a pitch dark sleeping space for a baby
- Lightweight and very portable
- They can fit different sizes of windows
- Help to insulate against heat and draft
- Suction cups fall easily of the window is not clean and dry. Ensure its clean and completely dry before installation
3. MANGATA CASA Kids Star Blackout curtain
If you are looking for curtains that are designed with kids in mind and can block about 85-95% of sunlight’s and UV rays, then this are the one for you.
They come in 2 panels with an innovative starry star design with moon and stars that allow very minimal light to pass through. Your kids will love how the twinkling stars cast a shower across the room creating a sky-like experience.
The curtains are 100% polyester, which is an eco-friendly and non-toxic material. It is not foil printed and does not contain any chemical coatings, which ensures it is safe to use in the baby’s room.
Moreover, if you leave in a noisy neighborhood, these curtains minimize noise by about 10-20Db making the room conducive for a baby to sleep soundly.
- Has high-density dark yarn
- Very easy to install
- The grommets are stainless silver; hence, rustproof
- Machine washable
- They do not fade
- Provides noise insulation
- No chemical coatings or foil printing
- None so far
4. Mizone Kids Blackout curtains
These curtains are 100% polyester with 3 pass foamback lining. This lining is energy efficient and helps blackout sunlight and reduces noise.
They have a solid construction with no fraying seams. Also, despite being white in color, they do a perfect job of blocking out light so that your baby can sleep soundly.
If the sun shines all day in your kid’s room, keeping these curtains closed especially in the afternoon will block out the sun and prevent the room from becoming hot and stuffy. Similarly, during the cold days, the curtains keep out draft so that the room remains warm and cozy.
Moreover, it comes in a variety of colors so you can pick the ideal one based on nursery décor.
- Thick lining that ensures thermal insulation
- Perfect for noise reduction
- Very easy to install
- Rustproof grommets
- You only get one panel in the package so make sure you order a pair if you want 2 for a large window
5. BGment Moon & Stars Blackout curtains for kids
BGment Hometex Company is a well-known brand that produces top-quality home and kitchen. Its curtains are of high quality and designed to complement the décor in each room in the house including the nursery.
These curtains come in a set of 2 in a pack. They have a unique pattern of sparkly silver moon and stars, which make them the ideal curtains for kids’ room. The stars and moon tend to reflect light such that they glow and twinkle in the dark.
They are designed to block out 80% of sunlight and UV rays thereby creating a good environment for baby to sleep especially during afternoon naps. In addition, light-blocking helps to protect interior upholstery and floor from fading due to direct sunlight.
Most importantly, these curtains are thermal insulated. This means that they insulate the nursery against heat in the summer by keeping the room cool and against the chill in the winter by keeping the room warm.
The curtains also help to reduce noise from the neighborhood and traffic, which helps your baby to sleep longer.
- Thermal insulated; hence, they help to regulate room temperature
- Excellent at blocking most of the light
- They are machine washable (gentle cycle)
- Have rustproof grommets
- Durable and long-lasting curtains
- Wide variety of colors to choose from
- Some customers found them not to be as thick as they expected. However, they do their job of blocking light perfectly
6. AmazonBasics Room Darkening Curtains
This 100% polyester blackout curtains are designed to create an energy-saving insulating barrier against cold and heat so as to ensure the nursery in warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
They also help to minimize noise and block out sunlight and harmful rays from the sun.
The curtains come in 2 panels of innovative triple-weave fabric. They don’t have a stiff liner so they drape quite well, which enhances the look of the nursery.
In addition, they come with 2 Velcro ties that help you to pull the curtains back when you want sunlight to pass through the window.
They come in a variety of colors and sizes, which you can choose according to your preferences.
- They come in 2 panels
- Are machine washable
- Helps to minimize outside noise
- They insulate against cold and heat in winter and summer respectively
- The curtains block a large amount of light and harmful UV rays
- Washing in the machine may ruin them so be careful when washing and hanging them to dry.
7. BGment Zoo Patterns Nursery/Kids blackout curtains
While some blackout curtains are made of silky, lined and lightweight fabric, these BGment curtains are made of triple-weaved fabric.
Triple-weaved fabric is woven with a thread in the center making it fairly thick yet soft and draping.
It is tightly woven, which makes the BGment curtains excellent for cold and heat insulation in the kids’ room.
In addition, this fabric makes the curtain great at reducing noise and block about 95% of sunlight and UV rays.
The curtains are also long-lasting and very durable. They drape effortlessly thanks to added weight on the hem of the curtain.
- They are machine washable on the gentle cycle and cold water
- The grommets are rustproof and fit any standard sized curtain rods
- They are energy saving
- They come in a variety of colors and prints
- Two panels in each pack
- They do not make the room pitch-dark, which is great for kids who are afraid of total darkness
Factors to consider when choosing the best kids blackout curtains
1. Should I get blackout curtains for nursery
In the summer, the sun tends to rise earlier and set later than average. For instance, in California, the sun might start shinning as early as 5am in the morning and may not set until 8 pm.
This means that if you have a child, he or she may wake up at 5 am thinking it’s already time to wake up. If you love your sleep and would like to sleep a little longer without being woken up by a little toddler that early, blackout curtains may come in handy.
Moreover, as long as the sun is shining, it may be hard to get the little one to bed at night. So the blackout curtains will make the room dark and promote better sleep.
2. Are blackout curtains good for babies?
FAQ about the best blackout curtains for nursery
There is no doubt that the best blackout curtains for nursery create an ideal sleep environment for babies and toddlers. Having blackout curtains in the kid’s room has been found to help them sleep longer due to several reasons. One is that they blackout sunlight especially during the afternoon naps. Two is that they minimize noise from neighbors and traffic and three, they insulate the room against cold in the winter and heat in the summer.