This post contains affiliate links. If you click on a link and choose to make a purchase, I will receive a commission at no additional cost to you. See our affiliate disclosure page for more information.
You’ll both be amused, and your baby will be occupied!
If you are a new parent, congratulations. You’ve made one of the biggest decisions in your life and we’re sure you will be happy with it. However, taking care of a baby can be challenging initially and it is easy to become overwhelmed by all the things that need to be done for your child.
However, baby bouncers and baby swings are a godsend for new parents who have to multitask during the day. In addition to being a great distraction to the baby, it can also help to soothe a fussy baby and keep them entertained for longer without your direct involvement. Baby bouncers allow you freedom of movement while keeping the baby calm, and can even be used as a sleep aid.
If you are a mom who needs to get things done, but your little angel needs to be kept entertained, read on to find the best baby bouncer and baby swing for your little one. But first, allow me to discuss the difference between a baby bouncer and a baby swing, and the tips of using these products safely.
What is the difference between a Baby Bouncer and a Baby Swing?
A baby bouncer is a seat that is mobile with your baby sitting in it, usually facing outwards.
It is lightweight and positioned low to the ground, and designed to rock back and forth as a result of the baby’s movements. Also, bouncers can be carried around easily, and also look less conspicuous in a room.
A swing on the other hand has a base that needs to be connected to an outlet or electrical socket. Also, swings tend to occupy more space because the seat is bigger thus an exceptional choice when you don’t need a stationary baby toy.
What to look for in the Best Baby Bouncer or the Best Baby Swing
As much as possible, you will need to pick something that will save you some money while ensuring your baby’s safety. A good-quality bouncer is sturdy enough to allow your child to bounce until he becomes too heavy for it. Likewise, the best baby swing should have enough speed and motion to keep your baby entertained without making him dizzy or nauseous.
That said, here are some specific things to consider when buying a baby bouncer or swing:
Make sure that the product is sturdy, strong, and free of sharp edges and points. Check whether it complies with the US CPSC standards for infant products’ safety and move on to another item if you find multiple complaints about them. Additionally, ensure that the product is well-ventilated and comes with a safety harness so that it can be strapped in place while in motion. You should also check whether there are any power cords attached, or if there is a battery option.
It should be large enough to support your baby’s head while allowing him to freely move his arms and legs without the risk of hitting the sides or top of the bouncer. There should also be proper and snug harness straps that you can adjust easily for your convenience. The seat should be soft but firm enough to keep your baby in place when the bouncer is set to move.
It should be free of sharp parts and made from good quality material that can withstand your baby’s weight, with or without an extra load (such as a diaper bag). The legs should have rubber pads so that they will be stable on any surface even if there is a small rim underneath them. Some models come with an ultra-quiet motor for extra comfort.
If you want to put your baby in a stationary bouncer, the seat should be at the baby’s level when he is sitting and not too high up so that he cannot reach anything, especially his feet or toes. For a swing, the height of the seat should be adjustable.
The bouncer or swing should be easy to use, move, and clean. Some models can be folded up for ease of storage and portability. Moreover, these items are already bulky when folded because they have bars, so if possible, choose one that is easy to put together with no fuss.
Bouncers and swings should be made with good quality materials that can stand the test of time. On that note, look for a product with a frame that is sturdy enough to hold your baby even with movement. Also, the material and color used for the seat should not fade easily or quickly to allow your child to use it for as long as possible.
This is very convenient as it will make sure that the bouncer or swing is turned off automatically after a set period of time to prevent overheating and conserve energy.
Ease of use
It should be simple enough for you to understand and use without any fuss, especially when you are juggling several things at once. Also, it is best if the manufacturer offers a warranty in case of any defect or malfunction.
Some models are already equipped with music players and vibration functions to soothe your baby even more. You can also find ones that have particular features such as a mobile or toy bar attached for extra fun and entertainment.
Best Baby Bouncers and Baby Swings Reviews
Knowing what to look for will help make your baby’s safety a priority.
With that being said, here is our top 5 list of the best baby bouncers and our top 5 list of the best baby swings.
The 5 Best Baby Bouncers Reviews
The Fisher-Price Moonlight is a high-quality baby bouncer that relies on the baby’s natural movements to make the seat bounce.
The bouncer has a cozy seat with a soft plush insert. This means that the baby can sit on it for hours with an assurance of comfort.
Adding to that, it integrates two plush woodland animal toys. These toys hang overhead, and they can deliver up to 20 minutes of nature sounds, music, and calming vibrations to keep the baby engaged when in the seat.
- The pad and insert are machine washable and dryer safe.
- The baby bouncer is portable and easy to move from room to room.
- A three-point harness and non-skid feet ensure the safety of the baby.
- A soft-touch panel provides quick access to the sound, music, and volume control.
- The baby bouncer is a little bit challenging to assemble.
The BabyBJorn is an ideal baby bouncer for those who need one for newborns and toddlers up to the age of 2. It features an ergonomic design that ensures proper head and back support.
The baby bouncer is made of 80% polyester, 16% cotton, and 6% elastane. Also, it features 100% cotton in the back section for durability.
Designed for use with growing babies, this product offers three different height positions for comfortable use. Still, it has three usable positions that allow the baby to use it for play and rest.
- The bouncer comes in a range of cute colors.
- Super lightweight and easy to carry around.
- The seat provides good support for the head, neck, and back.
- Three levels of elevation ensure a perfect fit for the baby.
- Not easy to move around when the baby is in it.
- The cover shrinks as a result of frequent washing.
Responding to the need for a versatile baby bouncer is the Baby Delight Alpine Deluxe Portable Bouncer. Using it, your baby can sit, play, or relax, and you can alter the reclining positions for ultimate comfort.
Besides that, the portable bouncer has a 3-point harness. Thus, you can secure your baby in place for guaranteed safety. The mesh insert in the cover is another addition. It provides increased airflow to shield the baby from accumulating sweat and enhance user comfort.
After use, you can fold the Alpine baby bouncer into a compact size and put it into the carry bag for portability.
- The cover is removable and machine washable for easy maintenance.
- A removable toy bar acts as an entertainment option.
- Included shoulder strap enhances portability.
- The baby bouncer is lightweight and sturdy.
- The toy bar falls off easily.
- The baby bouncer tends to be a little bit challenging to screw.
Whether you need the best baby bouncer for a baby boy or baby girl, the Bright Starts Playful Pinwheels Bouncer is an excellent choice. It features gender-neutral colors that make it suitable for use by any baby.
The deep cradling seat is another addition. It supports the baby to provide extra comfort and safety. Still, the baby bouncer provides soothing vibrations that keep the baby calm and comfortable.
- The soft fabrics are machine washable.
- Spinnable toys amuse the baby.
- The bouncer has a strong frame that is easy to wipe clean.
- The toy bar is removable for easy removal of the baby.
- One side of the toy bar doesn’t snap into place.
- The toy bar system is quite high.
As the name suggests, the baby bouncer features a 2-in-1 design so that you can convert between a bouncer and rocker. Besides that, the bouncer has a removable toy bar with removable toys so that it can amuse kids.
The Summer Infant Baby Bouncer provides soothing vibrations that calm babies from 0-6 months. After use, you can fold the baby bouncer into a flat position for portability.
- The padded seat insert provides the desired support and comfort.
- The insert is machine washable.
- The bouncer is lightweight and folds flat for portability.
- Automatic shit off of the vibrator ensures safety.
- The pad doesn’t hook to the top.
- The rocking motion is quite rigid.
The 5 Best Baby Swings Reviews
The Munchkin is a Bluetooth-enabled baby swing suitable for babies between 5-20lbs.
The swing provides five distinct speeds that are easy to customize to suit the baby’s mood. Still, it is Bluetooth-enabled, which means that you can stream your child’s favorite music from a Bluetooth-enabled device.
Featuring a touchscreen display, you can operate the music, timer, and speed with a lot of ease. Plus, there are eight pre-loaded soothing ambient sounds plus four classical music pieces to calm the baby.
- The baby bouncer is lightweight at less than 9 pounds for easy transportation.
- It comes with an AC adapter.
- The head support and seat pad are machine-washable.
- The baby bouncer is easy to put together.
- The swing doesn’t include a vibration mode.
- No option to run on batteries.
A perfect way to calm and relax your baby lies in using the Graco Simple Sway Swing. This swing provides a gentle side-to-side swaying motion so that it can soothe and comfort the baby.
Also, it provides six swing speeds, which means that you can find the right pace to suit your baby’s mood. A 2-speed vibration is another feature meant to comfort your little one.
The swing integrates 10 songs and 5 nature sounds that amuse the baby. Featuring a deep and plush seat plus head support, this swing can keep your baby cozy and comfortable.
- The baby swing features a compact frame that fits in small spaces.
- A 5-point harness secures the baby on the chair.
- The baby swing has a plush seat and head support.
- Three soft toys provide the desired visual stimulation.
- The metal frame creaks at high speeds.
- The bouncer doesn’t deliver the best quality music.
The Fisher-Price Sweet Snugapuppy Swing is an excellent choice when you need a head-to-toe swing or side-to-side swing. This product has two recline positions to ensure the comfort of the baby.
Adding to that, it offers six swing speeds and 16 soothing songs and nature sounds to amuse babies. The seat pad has a plush insert and head support for optimal comfort and support.
Also, there is an overhead mobile with a soft toy to help entertain babies.
- The legs are foldable for storage and portability.
- The swing has an AC plug option that helps to save on the batteries.
- The overhead mobile can turn on its own.
- The swing delivers gentle motions that calm the baby.
- The swing is large so it occupies a lot of space.
- The motor is quite noisy.
The mamaRoo is an infant swing best suited for soothing, comforting, and entertaining babies. It is Bluetooth-enabled, which means that you can connect it to Bluetooth-enabled devices to play your baby’s favorite music.
Also, the baby swing has four built-in sounds and an MP3 plug-in to let you play music. The seat’s fabric is machine washable, which means that you can acquire the swing with an assurance of easy maintenance. Still, the swing has an AC adaptor to help you save on batteries.
The mamaRoo delivers five unique speeds and motions so that you can adjust the movement to suit the mood of the baby.
- The seat can recline for maximum comfort.
- The swing is Bluetooth enabled to let you stream music.
- It is easy to assemble.
- Small and easy to carry along.
- The swing is a little bit pricey.
- The audio is on the lower side.
The Nova Baby Swing is an excellent choice for toddlers aged 0-8 months. It features 10 preset lullabies plus a USB port and Bluetooth to provide room for connecting your favorite music.
What’s more, this swing integrates an auto-off timer. Using it, you can set the amount of time the swing will operate from 8 minutes up to 30 minutes. The durable aluminum base is another plus. It features anti-skid grips to ensure stability and the baby’s safety.
Also, there is a machine-washable seat cover for the easy maintenance of the baby swing.
- The base features a stable aluminum constriction.
- The seat cover is washable.
- A 5-point harness secures the baby to the seat.
- 3 hanging stuffed toys are suitable for amusing kids.
- The harness straps are quite big.
- The wide base occupies a lot of space.
See also: The Best Baby Shampoos for Adult Use
How to use Infant Swings and Bouncers safely
- Do not use the bouncer or swing for more than 1-2 hours at a time.
- Use until your baby can sit up unassisted, which usually happens around 6 months of age.
- Do not attach toys to the bouncer with strings, as they are choking hazards. Make sure the toys are safe for babies and do not have any parts that can break off.
- Do not leave your baby in a bouncer or swing while you are asleep, as there is a risk of suffocation.
- Do not use the bouncer or swing if the baby’s chin touches his chest when he has been propped up on a small pillow.
- Make sure to pick a baby bouncer or swing that meets all the necessary safety standards.
- Infant swings and bouncers are not recommended for babies under 2 months.
- Use with caution after 4 months of age, as some models do not include head support and you will need to place a blanket behind your baby’s back for extra support.
- Check the weight capacity of the bouncer or swing before you buy it to make sure that your child will not outgrow it too soon.
Do not use a bouncer or swing with an active sleeper, as most models do not have a locking mechanism and the baby might climb out of it or fall off.
- Make sure that there is plenty of fresh air when your baby sits in the bouncer or swing, as the fabric parts will get hot in a small space.
- Do not place your baby’s legs into the bouncer or swing if he is wearing thick clothes, to avoid overheating.
- Remove any dangling toys or strings before you put your baby into the bouncer or swing, as they pose choking hazards.
- Remove the toy bar when your baby can sit up unassisted to avoid hitting the bar on his head when he is in a sitting position.
- Do not use the bouncer or swing near a window with open curtains and blinds, as there is a risk of your child’s head getting stuck between the bars.
- The harness should always be used when your baby sits in a bouncer or swing.
- Do not allow more than one child to use the same bouncer or swing at a time, as your baby might get hit by his playmate.
- Never leave your baby unattended in a bouncer or swing, even if it has a locking mechanism that you think will prevent him from climbing out of it.
See also: Enfamil vs Similac [Which is Better?]
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the difference between a bouncer and a swing?
The main difference between a bouncer and a swing is that a bouncer works like a hammock and you strap it onto the door frame or put it on the floor and the baby sits inside it, while a swing is made to rock back and forth with an electric motor.
2. How long should I keep my baby in the bouncer?
How long you should keep your baby in the bouncer depends on his age and the features of the bouncer. Smaller babies will need to be propped up with a small pillow, while older infants can stay in the bouncer without any extra support. Try not to use it for more than 1-2 hours at a time.
3. How long should I keep my baby in the swing?
You can start using a swing when your baby is 2-3 weeks old and continue to use it until your child reaches 25 lbs or can sit up unassisted, which usually happens around 6 months of age. Most babies will only tolerate 10-30 minutes in a swing, but your baby might need to be rocked for a longer time.
4. Does the baby bouncer or swing have a toy bar?
Many baby bouncers and baby swings come with a removable toy bar that you can rotate to provide a variety of toys for your little one. But some models do not have this feature.
5. Do You Need a Bouncer or Swing?
This depends on your preferences. A bouncer is lighter and easier to move, while a swing is more relaxing for the baby (and for you if you like swings). Plus, you will need a bouncer if you want your baby to stay in one place, and not bounce by himself. A swing is more soothing for the baby, but they tend to be bulky and require electricity.
6. How do a bouncer and a swing compare?
A bouncer is more portable than a swing as it can be easily folded and taken with you on a trip or outside of the house, while you cannot take most swings with you. On the other hand, a swing is more soothing for most babies.
From lightweight bouncers that are easy to move around the house to rocker swings with soothing vibrations and mobile toys, the best baby bouncers and swings can make your life easier, especially when you need to get some housework done or take a shower.
Therefore, buy either of the reviewed products and never forget about safety by making sure that your child is securely strapped into the bouncer or swing at all times.
We hope you found something that you and your baby will love! Let us know which one you liked the best in the comments below!
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.
- Pregnancy shopping: When to Start Buying for the Baby? - October 21, 2021
- Should Babies Sleep with a Nightlight? - September 29, 2021
- [Pacifiers Save Lives] 4 Best Pacifiers for Breastfed Babies - September 15, 2021