Many parents are worried about the safety issues associated with using traditional baby walkers and are looking for a safer alternative to use instead.
This may come as no surprise, but in the past, there used to be a large number of accidents and even fatalities of babies using baby walkers. Such as tipping down the stairs, or falling onto sharp objects, or other similar accidents.
Plus, some parents are concerned that the traditional walkers can deform the baby’s legs and contribute to other development issues. So, what can you use instead of a baby walker?
If you are a parent looking for better and safer alternatives to baby walkers, then read on to find out which are the best alternatives to baby walkers we recommend for 2021.
The best alternatives to baby walkers
Stationary Baby Activity Centers
As the name suggests, a stationary activity center will have legs instead of wheels. It will stay in place while the baby is standing and playing, ensuring that they don’t find themselves anywhere unsafe or otherwise fall.
Most of them have bouncing adjustable heights so that they can grow with your baby as their legs grow longer and stronger.
Here are the best stationary baby activity centers that we’ve found in 2021:
- Designed by pediatricians and experts for a whole-body motor development approach for babies
- Suitable for babies aged 4 months and up until the toddler years
- The station offers 25 different developmental activities to teach and entertain the baby
- There are 4 moveable interactive toys
- The seat rotates at 360- degrees while it stays stationary in place
- It comes with a bouncer option and a seat for sitting
- The base can be adjusted
- The center will grow with the baby and can be used for years, even converting into a play table
- Suitable for children aged 4 months and more and up to 25 lbs. or 30 inches
- Made of BPA, PVC, and Phthalates free materials
- Easy to assemble
- You will need to take the legs off if you want to store them away easily
- Made by one of the leaders in the baby product and toy market – Fisher-Price
- The activity center allows for 3 play positions, including a play mat, an activity center, and a play table
- It has three adjustable height positions
- It can be used from day one up to toddlerhood
- The toys and interactive features are designed to promote motor and sensory development
- The seat can spin 360 degrees safely without moving out of place
- Machine-washable seat pad and play mat
- Relatively small footprint, so it can fit even tight spaces
- The legs are removable for easy storage
- It should not be used in a seated position for babies who cannot hold their heads up by themselves
Baby Bouncers or Jumpers
These are excellent baby walker alternatives to have when the baby is learning to stand and walk. The bouncers are designed to promote a bouncing movement, which can help stimulate muscle development and encourage stability in babies.
They are also stationary and will keep the baby safely in place, unlike baby walkers with wheels.
Here are some of the best baby jumpers you can buy in 2021:
- It is stationary and yet will allow the baby to bounce and jump, strengthening its legs and core
- There are 12 different interactive toys and features to keep the baby entertained and help with its development
- The toys include sounds, songs, and lights
- The height can be adjusted in 5 positions to make it usable as your baby grows
- Recommended for babies aged from 4 to 12 months, weighing from 15 to 25 lbs.
- The seat rotates 360 degrees, but the jumper will remain safely in place
- Machine-washable seat cover
- Available in two different versions with different features and toys
- Suitable only for babies that can sit up by themselves
- The weight capacity is limited to up to 25 lbs.
- Each jump by the baby is rewarded by an interactive sound, light, or tune
- 360-degree rotation
- The height can be adjusted to 3 positions, so it will grow with your baby
- A soft padded seat which is machine washable and dryable
- Safety covers for the springs
- Lightweight and portable – it can be set up anywhere
- It can be folded for easy storage and portability
- One of the bestselling baby jumpers by Fisher-Price
- The Jumperoo is sold in a gift box, making it a great idea for a new baby present
- It is not as affordable as some of the other products on our list
Sit-to-Stand Walkers or Push Toys
These push toys are among the most affordable alternatives to baby walkers. They will allow the baby to push the toy while playing and learning how to walk.
This type is more suitable for infants who are already walking and need added stability and practice. In addition, they can also move, so you should be more attentive when letting your child play with them.
Here are the best sit-to-stand walkers and push toys for 2021.
- It comes with a removable interactive play panel
- The play panel can be used by even younger babies when it is placed on the floor or a playmat
- 5 piano keys play music
- The wheels can move easily on both carpeted and on hard floors
- There are added interactive toys like spinning rollers, light-up buttons, shape sorters, and more
- The wheel tension can be adjusted to help you control the speed and prevent them from rolling backward
- A pretend phone and other mechanical toys and elements will promote motor and sensory development
- 70+ sing-along songs, phrases, sound effects, and tunes
- Two included AA batteries
- Suitable for babies aged 9 months to toddlers
- Unlike the stationary walker alternatives, this one can move and requires constant attention and proper babyproofing
- The phone toy can easily get misplaced during play
- Suitable for babies aged 9 months and more
- Suitable for crawling and pre-walking or walking infants
- Includes games to train the child’s motor skills
- 3 blocks for sorting and for storage
- A flipbook, a slider, and a spinner for games and learning
- The handles are easy to grasp for babies that are learning how to walk or are crawling
- The wheels will roll smoothly on both hard floors and carpeting
- It can be converted into a sturdier baby walker as the child grows and becomes steadier
- Sturdy build
- There are no sounds or music included
See also: Best Baby Walkers
Playpen or Play Yard
With a suitable playpen or a play yard, you can let your child play and learn how to stand and walk without the danger of them wandering off. Plus, you can control the toys they have access to in one of these nifty baby playpens.
With a good quality playpen, you can regain the freedom to manage household chores as your baby entertains themselves.
But, keep in mind that any child needs socializing and interaction, so avoid leaving it inside the playpen alone for long periods of time.
Natural walking and floor-time
If you want your little one to learn how to walk completely naturally, you can forget about using any of the above baby walker alternatives and let your baby learn how to walk without any assistance from toys and gadgets.
It is even better to allow the child to learn how to walk barefoot on the floor, which can help add to the feeling of stability and also to develop strong muscles of the feet and legs.
Touching and getting the feeling of the floor can help the baby feel more secure and get the hang of walking faster.
While baby walkers were considered essential for all children in the past, today, there are some excellent and safer alternatives to these walkers.
With the alternatives, you can still allow the baby to practice walking and strengthen its legs and muscles while it entertains itself.
Hopefully, we have helped you in making your decision about the best option for an alternative baby walker for your little one.
What sort of baby walker do you prefer?
Tell us your thoughts in the comments below!